Benefits of adding more magnesium to your diet

Benefits of adding more magnesium to your diet

In this article, we discuss the many reasons why you should add more magnesium to your diet.


Magnesium: Benefits of Adding More Magnesium to Your Diet

Eating foods rich in magnesium improves sleep quality

More than 300 enzymatic processes in the human body involve magnesium, making it a vital element. Its various functions include boosting the immune system, controlling blood pressure, and helping with muscle and nerve function. The human skeleton stores 50 to 60% of the 25 g of magnesium that the body of an adult carries. Muscles, soft tissues, and body fluids contain the rest.

Although deficiency symptoms are rare in healthy people, most people do not get enough magnesium in their diets. People should strive to meet prescribed daily magnesium levels because doctors associate insufficient magnesium with a number of health problems. In this article, we discuss the many reasons why you should add more magnesium to your diet.

Here are the reasons why you should add magnesium to your diet:

1. Improve training performance

Depending on the activity, you may need more magnesium during exercise than at rest. Magnesium helps remove lactate, which can build up during exercise and cause fatigue, as well as the movement of blood sugar into the muscles. According to studies, taking magnesium supplements can help older people and others with magnesium deficiency perform better during physical activity.

2. Improves bone health

Magnesium is crucial for good bone production, although most studies have focused on the importance of calcium in bone health. According to research, consuming enough magnesium is associated with increased bone crystal formation, higher bone density, and a lower risk of osteoporosis in women after menopause. By helping to control levels of calcium and vitamin D, two key minerals essential for bone health, magnesium can both directly and indirectly promote bone health.

3. Promotes better quality sleep

Supplemental magnesium is frequently used as a homeopathic treatment for sleep disorders such as insomnia. This is because magnesium controls several sleep-related neurotransmitters, including gamma-aminobutyric acid. Magnesium supplementation was found to reduce the time it took for patients to fall asleep in a study of older people with insomnia.

4. Helps balance blood sugar

According to studies, nearly half of people with type 2 diabetes have low amounts of magnesium in their blood, which can make it difficult for the body to efficiently control blood sugar levels. Additionally, studies show that those who take in additional magnesium are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. One analysis found that magnesium supplementation improves insulin sensitivity, a crucial aspect of blood sugar regulation.

5. Prevents and improves diabetes

Diets rich in magnesium have been linked in studies to a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. This could be a result of magnesium’s important contribution to insulin and glucose regulation. Insulin resistance is a condition that often develops before type 2 diabetes, and a magnesium deficiency can make it worse. On the other hand, low magnesium levels can result from insulin resistance.

6. Helps biochemical actions in the body.

You have magnesium everywhere in your body. Actually, this mineral is present and is necessary for the function of every cell in your body. Your body has 60% of its magnesium in your bones, with the remaining 40% in your muscles, soft tissues, and body fluids such as blood. One of its main functions is to serve as a cofactor, or auxiliary molecule, in the biochemical activities that enzymes continuously carry out. More than 600 bodily reactions depend on it.

7. Reduces migraines

In addition to being painful, migraines frequently cause symptoms that include nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, and sensitivity to noise. According to some experts, migraineurs are more likely than the general population to suffer from magnesium deficiency. In fact, several studies indicate that taking magnesium supplements can help both prevent and control migraines.

8. Improves heart health

Magnesium is crucial to maintaining the strength and health of your heart. In fact, research shows that taking magnesium-rich supplements can help lower high blood pressure, which may be a risk factor for heart disease. In a different study, higher magnesium intake was associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and hypertension.

Now that you understand the importance of eating enough magnesium, be sure to consume it properly along with other healthy foods and nutrients.

Disclaimer: This content, including tips, provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV is not responsible for this information.


Leave a Comment